Linda S. Koffman
Fax (310) 556-8945
Linda S. Koffman concentrates her practice in real estate leasing, acquisitions, dispositions, secured financing and the restructuring, workout and foreclosure of troubled real estate projects.
Ms. Koffman represents private opportunity funds, pension funds, pension fund advisors, real estate owners, insurance companies, developers, institutional investors, lenders, contractors and asset management companies in the acquisition, disposition, construction, operation, leasing and joint venture of office buildings, industrial parks, multi-family residential projects and shopping centers.
Ms. Koffman’s practice also focuses on technology-related leasing. She has negotiated over 400 transactions representing both telecommunications companies, such as XM Satellite Radio, and commercial landlords in connection with communications site licensing, leasing and co-location agreements.
Ms. Koffman has a national real estate practice representing clients in transactions in the State of California, Connecticut, Maryland, Oregon, Nevada, North Carolina, Florida, Utah, Indiana, Tennessee, Washington and Arizona.
- Represented the managers of the historic Culver Studios in Culver City, California to acquire 50-acres of property in Albuquerque, New Mexico to develop a 500,000 square foot independent motion picture and television studio. The transaction included the formation of a joint venture, mezzanine and construction financing.
- Represented a national investment advisor (as representative for a State pension plan), as landlord, in a 47,500 square foot office lease transaction in downtown San Francisco. The lease transaction included the drafting and negotiation of the lease document, work letter, storage space lease and balcony lease and included right of first refusal rights, right of first offer rights and rights of first availability on various other floors in the Building.
- Represented a national telecommunications company, as tenant, in the negotiation of master lease/license agreements for communications activities with the following landlord: The RREEF Funds, Lattice Communications, Midwest Tower Partners, CNS Microwave, Inc., Potomac Electric Power Company, Pacific Gas & Electric Company and TA Associates.
- Represented a national insurance company in sale of thirty-six (36) office/warehouse buildings in South Salt Lake City, Utah. The representation provided included the negotiation of the sale agreement and ancillary documents thereto and closing of the transaction.
- Represented a national investment advisor in acquisition of real property in the City of Los Angeles and negotiation of build-to-suit provisions therein for development of a luxury multi-family apartment complex by the Seller/Developer.
- Represented a national investment advisor in securing an option to purchase real property in the City of Los Angeles, including build-to-suit provisions therein for the development of a luxury apartment complex by the Seller/Developer.
- Represented a large California county employee retirement association and affiliates in the acquisition of all of the general partnership interest and limited partnership interest in a Florida general partnership which owned forty (40) acres of real property located in Clearwater, Florida and developed as an apartment project. The representation provided included (i) analysis of issues concerning ownership of property by a pension fund, (ii) the drafting and negotiation of documentation to acquire the partnership interests, (iii) due diligence on the partnership and constituent entities, (iv) due diligence on the underlying real property, and (v) closing of the transaction.
- Represented a large California county employee retirement association and affiliates in the acquisition of all of the membership interests of a Maryland limited liability company which owned real property in Maryland and developed as an apartment project. The representation provided included (i) analysis of issues concerning ownership of property by a pension fund, (ii) the drafting and negotiation of documentation to acquire the membership interests in the limited liability company, (ii) due diligence on the limited liability company and constituent entities, (iii) due diligence on the underlying real property, and (iv) closing of the transaction.
- Represented a major insurance company in the acquisition of four parcels of industrial-zoned property in Ontario, California. The representation provided included (i) the drafting and negotiation of the purchase and sale agreement, construction loan financing documents, development management agreement, completion and payment guaranty and related construction documentation, (ii) title, survey and zoning due diligence and (iii) closing of the transaction.
- Represented a major insurance company, as lender, in a $96,000,000 financing for the rehabilitation of a retail shopping center in Ventura County, California. The representation provided included (i) the drafting and negotiation of the loan documents, (ii) title, survey, zoning and lease due diligence and (iii) closing of the transaction.
- Represented a Texas real estate development company, as borrower, in a construction loan transaction with major California bank concerning the development of industrial/warehouse space in Orange County, California. The representation included review and comment on loan documents prepared by the lender and closing of the transaction.
Co-author – "Investing in California Real Estate," AsiaLaw: A Guide to Investing in California in the Pacific Century, June 1997
Ms. Koffman has spoken on leasing and telecommunications issues. Recent speaking engagements include:
- Panelist for 2009 ICSC Shopping Center Law Conference on "The Transformation of the Traditional Shopping Center: Setting the Stage for the Next Generation of Retail Community"
- Panel Moderator, “Assessing Local Market Strengths & Weaknesses: What Are Your Tea Leaves,” IMN’s 2008 US Real Estate Opportunity & Private Fund Investing Forum, New York, May 2008
- Panel Moderator, “Value-Added Plays: Repositioning, Redeveloping and Turnaround Strategies,” IMN’s 2007 US Real Estate Opportunity & Private Fund Investing Forum, New York, May 2007
County Bar Association
Executive Committee of the Real Property Section, June 2009 - Present
State Bar of
Executive Committee of the Real Property Section, May 1999 - November 2002
California Real Property Journal
Managing Editor, May 1999 - October 2002
American Israel Public Affairs Committee
Executive Committee, 2000 - 2004
Civic Involvement and Distinctions
Visiting Instructor, UCLA Letters of College and Science
"Legal Aspects of Buying and Selling Commercial Real Estate in the United States" January 2010 - March 2010
Los Angeles Magazine
Southern California Super Lawyers of 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010
Jewish Partisan Educational Foundation
Board of Directors, April 2002 - Present
Glendale Memorial Health Foundation
Board of Directors, March 1999 - October 2004
Commercial Real Estate Women (CREW-LA)
Board of Directors, January 1999 - January 2000
J.D., University of California
A.B., University of California - Berkeley