Litigation and Dispute Resolution
GH&P's litigation group operates on a simple, three-part philosophy:
- Avoid disputes that can be avoided through early action
- Settle those disputes that cannot be avoided but for which a business resolution can be found, and
- Win those cases that cannot be avoided or settled.
The members of the litigation group are well known general business litigators with extensive experience in entertainment, media and intellectual property matters. They practice in all areas of copyright, trademark, defamation, rights of privacy and publicity, breach of contract and royalty and profit participation accounting.
- Successfully argued precedent setting United States Supreme Court decision regarding award of attorneys fee in copyright infringement cases.
- Obtained jury verdicts on behalf of songwriters/performers, record companies and movie producers in copyright infringement lawsuits.
- Obtained jury verdict on behalf of newspaper in a defamation lawsuit.
- Obtained a multimillion dollar jury verdict on behalf of the leader of a musical group against the former advisor who managed the group's financial affairs.
- Successfully represented a television station against a major studio for damages arising out of the breach of a license for a syndicated television program.
- Successfully defended a television program syndicator in a claimed breach of a national advertising representation agreement.
- Asserted first amendment and public access rights of television news programs.
- Reviewed and cleared motion picture, television and news program scripts.
- Represented officers and directors of an exchange listed corporation in a shareholder lawsuit alleging violation of federal securities laws.
- Obtained judgment on behalf of principals of motion picture production companies against claims made by revolutionary government of Iran with respect to proceeds from distribution of a motion picture produced in Iran.